Thursday 26 January 2012

Steps 1 and 2 - baby steps or crawl first


The beginning of my poker journal and journey with a twist - I've yet to play a single online game of poker, except Facebook poker!! 

I've never particularly had an interest in poker as such. I've never been a gambler; hated horse races, have only ever purchased less that 10 lottery tickets in my life. The only card games I've played with any enthusiasm is Canasta, Euchre, and 500 (not sure if 500 is the commonly known term).

So why poker and why now at this middle time in my life, hence the title of my blog Half-life poker? For the challenge. For the financial rewards. For the brain training exercise from calculating odds, ratios and hand equity on the fly during a game. I work out at the gym on my body, so working out my brain in poker is an extension of my attitude towards continual improvement in as many areas of life as I can extend.

Never stand still. Always seek goals and move towards the future.

So, I intend to journal my fears and desires and expectations and ambitions; what I’m reading about regarding poker, whatever thoughts pop into my head. Uncertainties and doubts. That sort of thing.

I have a strategy I came up with in this half-life poker journey of mine. I intend to read study and learn for a period of 18 months, all the while resisting the urge to just start playing. The big thing about this strategy for me is I'm in a scouting phase, an exploratory phase, a preparatory phase where I look over the poker territory, discover others playing styles, gain some insight in to pitfalls, and learn from mistakes others have made in their beginning foray into the poker 'verse.

I jot down my thoughts as they rise in my consciousness "I need to do exactly what I am doing now. Don’t worry about jumping in yet, be patient and learn just learn, and absorb it all into my unconscious competence".


No comments:

Post a Comment