Wednesday 14 March 2012

Bluff two barrel strategy

OK so I'm just a n00b, and I'm sure the advanced players have this all figured out, but for me this is an AHA moment.


If I only bet for value say on the river, and I fold or check all my failed draws, then my hands are revealed as value hands - that is my opponents know when I bet I'm betting because I have a (possibly) winning hand and so I'm less likely to get a call, and consequently I make less money in these situations.


When poker earnings are measured in terms of hundreds and thousands of hands, this can be significant loss of income.


Introducing bluffs on my failed draws. So instead of folding or checking my failed draws, I behave the same way I behave as when I hit my draw, I raise or at least I bet. I have 'balanced' my poker line for hitting my draw hands, and I attract calls which without adding in raised / bet failed draw hands, I would not otherwise attract.


In summary - adequately bluff on the turn and the river to force your opponent to choose between laying down his value hands and paying off your bluffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment