Monday 6 February 2012

Started using Flopzilla

At the recommendation of Ed Miller's book How to read hand's at no-limit hold-em I purchased Flopzilla for the purpose of understanding reading hand-ranges.


I started as Ed suggested by inputting and saving ranges for various player types such as Nit, Regular and Fish into Flopzilla and using Flopzilla to show how various combinations of ranges result from different flops for each player type.


The idea of understanding ranges and combinations is to be able to perform real-time estimations of good fit and bad fit combinations against players ranges for specific flops, then call or raise positive Equity Value decisions or fold negative Equity Value decisions.


If it sounds complicated to a n00b like myself then I hope it becomes second nature eventually, especially the real-time decision making part. I can only put in the work and practice with Flopzilla so as to better familiarize myself with understanding ranges and combinations. Ed states that in order to make the real-time decision making easier, he simply thinks in terms of good fit/bad fit combinations and the ratio of each - so if during play I estimate that villain has more bad fit combinations that good fit combinations I would continuance bet or 3-bet raise and maybe get them to fold their weaker fit combinations. 


Anyway this is a work in progress I've only just begin with - it's been a month of beginning to learn poker from absolutely zero and my strategy is to continue to learn the rudiments of poker, progressively increasing in complexity, so that when I eventually make my start for real, I'll be in a better position than if I had of just jumped in with both feet fresh. I do want action and it is a struggle to resist the desire to just start playing but I believe I'll be all the more stronger for it doing it the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment